The fort is situated on the right bank of River Chenab (Ancient name Asikni). The construction of the fort was started by Mian Tej Singh in 1762 A.D. and completely by his successor Raja Alum Singh in 1802 A.D.The fort has high fortification walls with bastions at regular intervals and is crowned with battlements.There are two-storyed watch-towers at the corners which are also crowned by battlements and merlons.The fort has two parts which are bifurcated by a wall with a gate leading to the Palace located on the southern side. The palace is two storeyed and the walls facing the courtyard have decorated arches, some of which contains mural paintings. Access to the fort is obtained through both the river sides as well as the northern side. The large part of the fort was in ruins. At present the conservation work of the fort is in progress.The Akhnoor fort is in fact, perched upon an ancient site locally known as Manda which has been subjected to a limited excavation, which in turn has yields three fold sequence of culture. Period I is represented by the harappan, Red & Grey wares, the shapes being jar, dish-on-stand beaker and goblets and other objects including copper-pin, bone arrowheads, terracotta cakes, sherds with harappan graffiti, Period II is marked by the presence of early historic pottery and Period III is represented by Kushana objects and impressive walls of rubble diaper masonary flanked on both sides by a 3m wide street.
The Buddhist site is situated on the right bank of river Chenab about 5 km from Akhnoor fort. The scientific excavation yielded remains of a monastery and large number of terracotta heads and pottery ranging from second-first century B.C. to eight century A.D.The study of the site after excavation in 1999-2001 has revealed the sequence of four cultural periods. Period I suggesting a small Hamlet during second-first century BC when people used Grey Ware potteries. Period II being the most prolific period of building activity of Kushana period. First-third century AD, when the Stupa & Vihara were constructed.
The well known Akhnoor terracotta Heads of the Ambaran are displayed in national/International museums. Period III representing Gupta age when the structure were strengthen & embellished at certain places with terracotta figures & decorations Period IV belongs to Post Gupta time sixth-seventh century A.D. A reliquary casket was also found in the square stupa contains copper casket with in round silver casket and with in a Gold casket along with bones, ashes,semiprecious stones, Pearl beads,
Silver and Gold foils, copper coins etc.Most significant and distinguished Buddhist bricks structure spoked wheel Stupa has been exposed during the scientific clearance work at Ancient Buddhist site Ambaran, in the year 2008-10 which is discovered for the first time in the Northern part of India Sub-continent of Jammu and Kashmir state. The exposed Bricks structure is similar to famous excavated Stupa of Nagarjunakonda in Southern Indian and Sanghol in Punjab.
Purana Mahal (Old Palace), Ramnagar, District Udhampur Built by Raja Suchet Singh, the Purana Mahal consists of a complex of rooms rising to three storeys having high walls with watchtowers at regular intervals. The walls of the rooms are decorated with stucco work and painted with floral designs. The wooden members of the ceiling are also profusely decorated. The corners of the roofs have projections in the shape of lotus flowers.
It was built by Raja Ram Singh, son of Raja Ranbir Singh. The complex has open courtyards surrounded by rooms with two entrances facing each other in opposite wings. The outer walls are high and are duly supported by buttresses. The rooms has false wooden ceiling and the interior walls are decorated with floral designs.
Sheesh Mahal, Ramnagar, Dist. Udhampur was built during the resign of Raja Ram Singh, it comprises two forecourts having burjis at the corners. Behind these are halls and rooms flanked on either side of the central passage.
The temple is Saptratha on plan externally and built on a raised platform approached by a flight of steps on the east.
The ancient fort is square on plan with polygonal bastions to support its four corners. The fortifications wall and the bastions are high and rise to three storeys crowned with battlements and merinos.
The temple is on the high platform, two jambs of the sanctum, the entrance way to the Mandapa and the bases of four columns. The jambs of the entrance to the sanctum have two niches each with arched tops.
The Samadhi was built by Raja Ranbir Singh on the spot where Rani performed sati after the death of Raja Suchet Singh in 1844 A.D.
Dedicated to Lord Shiva, it is built on a high platform. It has three sanctums each preceded by an antarala attached to a common mandapa.
Built on a high rectangular platform, it is approached by a flight of steps on the west side. It has two principal square sanctuaries divided from each other by an ornate cell.
The temple is Saptratha on plan externally. It consists of a Garbhagriha and Antarala with a square mandapa. The mandapa is entered through its western wall.
Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the temple, on plan, consists of a sanctum and a Porch. It has two offsets on each.
This Siva Temple according to tradition is said to have been built by king Babhruvahana, son of Arjuna.
Situated on a small hillock between two rivulets Birhama and Kirmachi at a distance of 12 km north of Udhampur-Lander road, the group of temples are locally known as the Pandava temples. The complex consists of five temples and two small shrines.